Wednesday 7 January 2015

Day 7: The Shopping Centre Seduction

Today I took a break and ventured out into the central business district of Sydney. It was amazing how my perspective has changed. I was perplexed by all the activity, crazy energy and disconnection from what really matters.

I recognised this so well because it has been a big part of my ego for so long. And I am guessing it will not disappear without a bit of a fight.

I went to the ATM to get some cash for lunch. I walked over to  Market City (a small shopping centre near Central Station). As soon as my eyes took in the lights, colours, sounds and 'for sale' signs, I instantly had the urge to shop. WHAT!!??

How quickly the cellular memory kicks in and the 'let's buy it' addictive consumer tries to wrestle the steering wheel away from my 'no thanks' clever consumer. I felt it, I recognised it and I re-focussed my energy back to the only reason I was there... to grab a healthy quick lunch. And that is exactly what I did. Yay me!!

 

Here are a few things to know about Shopping Centres:

  • They are set up architecturally to disorientate you. The entrance is often simple and pleasant before you interact with the bling, bang and cha-ching of the mall
  • There are no clocks
  • There are no views of the outside world
  • The lighting, reflective floor and noise are designed to get you into stores
  • All specials and impulse buys are immediately to your right as you enter a store
  • Commonly purchased items are positioned in the back of the stores in different areas to make you move around and impulse buy more
  • Escalators are positioned to ensure you move past as many stores as possible
  • There is plenty of food so you can fill up and stick around    
Ikea are the masters of manipulation as they ensure you interact with full rooms and disorientate you through their maze with a pretty good chance you will buy loads of smaller, cheaper items as you move through. The outcome is generally 60% more items are purchased than what you intended to buy. Clever aren't they?

 

What went out - 11 items

I went through the draws in our bedroom where all my tops, t-shirts and cardigans live. I found items I have put on many times but always tend to take them off. They are in great condition, love the colours but never wear them. Gone-ski!! 

 

What came in - 0 items

Nothing came in to our home and I am starting to FEEL AMAZING about this. I am very aware of how this changing the way I live life. An unfolding of a new way to be in life. Love it!!

 

Insights

(1) If I am going to out to consciously buy I need to put on my game face and stay focussed.
(2) There are heaps of things in our house we simply don't use.
(3) There is no rush to de-cluttering and becoming a conscious consumer. I am happy to take my time and make this a new behaviour and way of thinking.

 

TOTAL: OUT - 174   IN - 4


No comments:

Post a Comment